Animal husbandry and the stinking bouquet
Never ever a dull moment in the Slosberg household. After our guest from Ohio left we began the process of preparing the house for our next journey. I don' think that we have one weekend this summer that isn't jam packed with adventure. We spent the week admiring our little girl. We cleaned the house and Jena tried to talk me into male lactation. Apparently men can lactate...... I'm all for it but I think picking out the chest hair from Marin's mouth would really be gross. And if I had to shave my boobs (pecks HOO raHH) to feed Marin I think I would be itchy and Marin would have a mega rash on her face. So in short; if I was a hairless man, maybe...but alas I'm a well haired manly-man who has no desire to lactate. (HMMM I guess I could always make man cheese... I would make millions.) Whoa sorry for the fantasy island moment.
Well on Friday before we began our New York adventure we went to Marin's 4 month check up (at 4 and 1/2 months). I'm happy to report that Marin is as healthy as an OX. She weighs in at 13 pounds and 13 ounce (41st percentile). And Marin is going to play basketball someday-she is 25 3/4 inches long or tall (87th percentile). We are not sure where she is getting the height-so far we are crediting Grandpa Ron. Marin also got her round of immunizations. Marin was a trooper and was easily calmed down by Jena after the shots. So we rushed home to gather our fur baby and pack the car to head to my sister's place.
We arrived at sunset and we were welcomed to a beautiful vista of scarlet skies and magenta trees. It was very idyllic. We pulled in and were welcomed by the Meckel clan including the newly released (from the womb) Sabine. Bret was quick to offer libations. The big E was in bed gaining strength for the arrival of Meme. Soon after we settled in, Meme and Pepe arrived. It was going to be a party this weekend. Meme and Pepe were gracious enough to sleep in a tent so Jena, Marin, Alex and I could sleep in the house. They came prepared minus Meme's sleeping bag... bad Pepe...
Saturday brought a very early morning for the team... Sabine was awake... so was Marin... the babies took over the roosters (R.I.P) job and had us up and ready to go. We have a full day of tractor driving, hay getting and other Farmer duties. One day when Marin gets older I will show her how to do the farmer's tissue. I got to see the whole operation. The sugar shack, the goats, the chickens and the garlic. It was picturesque. I think I want goats..... Marley and Luna were very cute and friendly. Alex enjoyed charging them... it was his way of pretending to be king of the jungle. What a putz.
So Bret asked if we wanted to go and get some hay for the goats. Pepe and I said lets go and we jumped into the farm pick and headed up the road to the Alpaca farm. Yes, the same farm that Bret delivered the baby at. So we are throwing bails of hay into the truck, when without warning, Barry White started to play in the barn.... a disco ball lowered and candles spontaneously combusted to add a nice mood light. The farmer remarked: "I think it's a good time to mate alpacas"...... We-being very serious kind of people agreed and thought it would be a good experience to see nature unfold.... LOL no way! We were game and the euphemisms started flying. So animal husbandry is not tender nor is there any romance... it is well.... amusing. They have the males and females separated. So you get one male and one female.
Wait
*disclaimer*
The next few lines will discuss reproduction in a crass and childish manner please skip to the pictures if this may offend you
*disclaimer*
So they are both circling each other and you wonder... "how does this work?" Then the male Alpaca (no dinner, no ring, not even sweet talk) mounts the female. She decides to start spitting at the male. Undeterred, he continues his thrusts. It was like watching a batter facing Roger Clemens in his prime... strike out after strike out. Little did we (he) know that he was far from the promise land. So the both sides of the fence were awash with activity. The male pen was filled with sexually charged males. They got so worked up they started to hump each other. The females, not be out done , started to hump one another too. It was an Alpaca orgy and I did not want to be invited. It looked like this was going to be a lesson in futility. The male could not find the round hole with the round peg. But with a final go of it the female capitulated and laid down. So as the farmer put it "the train has gone onto the tunnel". Just like that it was all over. Not even a parting glance they both moved to there respective sides.
We jumped back into the truck and brought the hay to the barn. We had a swim in the pond and prepared ourselves for lunch. We had a quick drive to help Marin get some much needed nap time. I mowed the lawn with the tractor. (I want one! I want one! I want one!) We had a great dinner and celebrated Meme's birthday. It was a great day and we all were ready for bed. Tomorrow was garlic harvesting time.
Once again, Marin and Sabine did there best impersonations of roosters and got us up early for bagels and coffee. After the cob webs got removed from my brain it was time to start harvesting garlic.... Spanish Red, Maui Wowie, Northern Lights... ooops no um....well. Spanish Red and other fun types of garlic were ready to be freed from there soil shackles to be dried and prepared in scrumptious recipes. We picked many stinking bouquets. After we finished the harvest I took a much much needed shower.
We had a great lunch and started to prepare for the long ride home. As we gave our final goodbyes and waved we hopped in the car and......nothing..... dang-I ran my battery dead...again. So we all jumped into action and jumped my car and the trip was back on.
We had a great weekend. It was great to meet Sabine and hang with Elena. Thank you Bret, Laura, Meme, and Pepe for a great time.
That was a long post-now for some pictures. Or if you skipped down to the pictures then welcome to the pictures.... :)
When they start dueling Bjorns you know your in Hillbilly Country.

The girls



Simply glamorous

That's a smile...no denying it



Ebony and Ivory...go together in perfect harmony.

Meme and Marin striking a pose

Well on Friday before we began our New York adventure we went to Marin's 4 month check up (at 4 and 1/2 months). I'm happy to report that Marin is as healthy as an OX. She weighs in at 13 pounds and 13 ounce (41st percentile). And Marin is going to play basketball someday-she is 25 3/4 inches long or tall (87th percentile). We are not sure where she is getting the height-so far we are crediting Grandpa Ron. Marin also got her round of immunizations. Marin was a trooper and was easily calmed down by Jena after the shots. So we rushed home to gather our fur baby and pack the car to head to my sister's place.
We arrived at sunset and we were welcomed to a beautiful vista of scarlet skies and magenta trees. It was very idyllic. We pulled in and were welcomed by the Meckel clan including the newly released (from the womb) Sabine. Bret was quick to offer libations. The big E was in bed gaining strength for the arrival of Meme. Soon after we settled in, Meme and Pepe arrived. It was going to be a party this weekend. Meme and Pepe were gracious enough to sleep in a tent so Jena, Marin, Alex and I could sleep in the house. They came prepared minus Meme's sleeping bag... bad Pepe...
Saturday brought a very early morning for the team... Sabine was awake... so was Marin... the babies took over the roosters (R.I.P) job and had us up and ready to go. We have a full day of tractor driving, hay getting and other Farmer duties. One day when Marin gets older I will show her how to do the farmer's tissue. I got to see the whole operation. The sugar shack, the goats, the chickens and the garlic. It was picturesque. I think I want goats..... Marley and Luna were very cute and friendly. Alex enjoyed charging them... it was his way of pretending to be king of the jungle. What a putz.
So Bret asked if we wanted to go and get some hay for the goats. Pepe and I said lets go and we jumped into the farm pick and headed up the road to the Alpaca farm. Yes, the same farm that Bret delivered the baby at. So we are throwing bails of hay into the truck, when without warning, Barry White started to play in the barn.... a disco ball lowered and candles spontaneously combusted to add a nice mood light. The farmer remarked: "I think it's a good time to mate alpacas"...... We-being very serious kind of people agreed and thought it would be a good experience to see nature unfold.... LOL no way! We were game and the euphemisms started flying. So animal husbandry is not tender nor is there any romance... it is well.... amusing. They have the males and females separated. So you get one male and one female.
Wait
*disclaimer*
The next few lines will discuss reproduction in a crass and childish manner please skip to the pictures if this may offend you
*disclaimer*
So they are both circling each other and you wonder... "how does this work?" Then the male Alpaca (no dinner, no ring, not even sweet talk) mounts the female. She decides to start spitting at the male. Undeterred, he continues his thrusts. It was like watching a batter facing Roger Clemens in his prime... strike out after strike out. Little did we (he) know that he was far from the promise land. So the both sides of the fence were awash with activity. The male pen was filled with sexually charged males. They got so worked up they started to hump each other. The females, not be out done , started to hump one another too. It was an Alpaca orgy and I did not want to be invited. It looked like this was going to be a lesson in futility. The male could not find the round hole with the round peg. But with a final go of it the female capitulated and laid down. So as the farmer put it "the train has gone onto the tunnel". Just like that it was all over. Not even a parting glance they both moved to there respective sides.
We jumped back into the truck and brought the hay to the barn. We had a swim in the pond and prepared ourselves for lunch. We had a quick drive to help Marin get some much needed nap time. I mowed the lawn with the tractor. (I want one! I want one! I want one!) We had a great dinner and celebrated Meme's birthday. It was a great day and we all were ready for bed. Tomorrow was garlic harvesting time.
Once again, Marin and Sabine did there best impersonations of roosters and got us up early for bagels and coffee. After the cob webs got removed from my brain it was time to start harvesting garlic.... Spanish Red, Maui Wowie, Northern Lights... ooops no um....well. Spanish Red and other fun types of garlic were ready to be freed from there soil shackles to be dried and prepared in scrumptious recipes. We picked many stinking bouquets. After we finished the harvest I took a much much needed shower.
We had a great lunch and started to prepare for the long ride home. As we gave our final goodbyes and waved we hopped in the car and......nothing..... dang-I ran my battery dead...again. So we all jumped into action and jumped my car and the trip was back on.
We had a great weekend. It was great to meet Sabine and hang with Elena. Thank you Bret, Laura, Meme, and Pepe for a great time.
That was a long post-now for some pictures. Or if you skipped down to the pictures then welcome to the pictures.... :)
When they start dueling Bjorns you know your in Hillbilly Country.
The girls
Simply glamorous
That's a smile...no denying it
Ebony and Ivory...go together in perfect harmony.
Meme and Marin striking a pose
Sabine loving the neglect-o-matic

1 Comments:
I want to thank you for keeping us updated, informed and highly entertained!
Post a Comment
<< Home