Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Parenting Course 201

So this whole working bit is not fun but I guess it puts meat and potatoes on the table. We have had some nice long stretches of sleep for our fair child Marin. So as new parents we pray to any one that will listen for our child to sleep for longer stretches..... Well Marin went for 6 1/2 hours and our first instinct.... dread that there may be something wrong. I'd like to report that that was an anomaly and she is back to her normal sleeping routine. For good measure, we are back to hoping she will sleep longer.... Ahh the joys of parenting.

Speaking of the joys of parenting. Jena and I had a stretch of a few days that we felt like bad parents. In retrospect its kinda funny. Well not to us but I'm sure you all will get a giggle out of it. Jena and I filled with false confidence in our superior parenting abilities decided to go out to the store and do a few errands (a few more than our average outing, yes we were getting cocky). Jena and I, at the height of our new parent glow, decided heck we can stop and wash the car before we go home. So half way through the wash..... Mount Marin erupted in a fit of rage. I was in the front seat (total over confidence at this point as we usually ride in the back seat) so I reach over and tried to explain to Marin that we would be heading home soon and how lucky she was to be my child. No dice, she was one pissed off lady. I was able to placate her temporarily with a bink/shoosha/pacifier (we have not decided on a name for it yet).

The car wash was over and I quickly jumped in the back seat and told Jena to punch it!! Her rage was building and her temper was flaring like Mike Tyson after his latest divorce. The sheer helplessness we were feeling was awful. I asked Jena to pull over so I could do the big swing... Success the big swing stopped the crying. I was swinging the car seat while we were parked at the side of the road waving to the traffic go by.

Back in the car about 5 minutes from home..... Mount Saint Marin erupted again. This time bigger than before... Jena's momdar went off the scale and she pulled over and said give me my baby. As we go to take her out of the car seat we realized our error; in our attempt to protect Marin from the cold we had her over bundled. The poor girl was overheated. We quickly peeled her like a fleece banana and started feeding her (in a bar parking lot). Marin quickly calmed down and ate with glee! Jena and I felt like the worlds worst parents....

That evening we decided to give Marin a bath with our new PRO technique and met with great success. After the bath I was playing with Marin she was eating up daddy time. So I was making faces at her then without warning Marin whipped her head around and smashed her eye into my mouth. Infants don't move that fast but she did. So in an instant she was furious (I would be too) so we did our best to calm her and I was apologizing profusely. Again, I felt like a child abuser. So we recovered from that incident and I'm happy to report that Marin still has 2 eyes. Later that evening, to add insult to injury,while Jena was burping Marin again she decided to show her new found mega neck control and rose up and then smashed her face into Jena's shoulder. We wanted to turn ourselves in to social services.... Alas, we forged on to live another day.

On a brighter side at 3:25PM April 11th Marin Slosberg had her first real smile!!! WOOO WOOO WOOOO It was great! Both Jena and I were able to coax it from her. It made all our hardships seem trivial.

OK more photos....sorry for the long post.


Marin was napping in her Neglectomatic.... but her bink kept falling out waking her back up. So what was a weary parent to do.... improvise that's what!!!!

Marin on her beautiful blanket that Great Avo made.




1 Comments:

Blogger James Michael said...

So happy about the smile! It's truly amazing when it happens and just melts your heart. I was doing the same thing to Chase’s binky this weekend...you've got to do what you've got to do. I think a mouth guard strap kind of thing that goes around the back of the head needs to be invented. Although it may be cruel since they wouldn't be able to spit it out..Hhmmm. You guys are doing a great job and yes we are laughing a bit over here. I hated when Charlotte cried while we were driving, it made me want to lose my mind. Can't wait to see you guys soon
Love
Shelby

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home