Sunday, April 29, 2007

Breaking all the rules

We are back!!! We had a very nice mini vacation. Jena, Marin, Alex and I all went to Maine for a few days of fun and sun (not so much sun). Lets start from the beginning....

So a pair of scared parents get the car loaded up for a road trip with baby and fur baby. The car is brimming with wipes and diapers and blankets and clothes; and just like in an airplane, we have back-ups for our back-ups. With Jena in command there is never any detail missed. We load up and are ready to go...so down the driveway.... and DAMN- did I forget to close the garage door? Jena couldn't remember either. We knew we had the binky and the butt paste but the garage door...no clue. So back up the driveway; garage door closed! Now away we go! Marin is gurgling and Alex is laying down...all is right in the world. One hour... two hours... still all is well. This is great-WOW we are uber parents. Then like the butterfly that started the hurricane. I hear a bit of a stir from our dear child. The stir became a coo and I look back to see Jena reached for the binky like a samurai to their sword. I was on a freeway with no exits in sight and traffic lights up ahead spell rush hour bumper to bumper (yes I decided to try to go through Portland to save some time.....) Binky pops out-screams start-traffic stops..... dog of course starts barking. This is when you have that out of body experience and you start remembering your sex ed classes in high school and wish you would have listened to them.

Not to worry-Jena and I brought the secret weapon. The Happiest Baby on the Block CD. It has 5 tracks of infant heroin. We are able to calm Alex with a nice gentle NO BARKING ALEX! Then we try track one...... no luck typhoon Marin is in full swing... track 2 nothing.... track 3 not a chance. We thought we were covered. We thought we had completed the master class in baby calming but panic was setting in as there was no place to pull over and the next exit was miles away. Then we moved to track 4. Lets talk a minute about track 4, its supposed to be the sound of a hair dryer. It sounds more like a vacuum cleaner that just sucked up a box of bolts and you are trying to shove the whole thing in a garbage disposal. The noise is down right awful to our ears-to Marin's it's like Beethoven's forgotten ambrosia symphony. We crank the volume and Marin becomes serene like the wide Sargasso Sea at dawn. Unfortunately the sound is grating and painful to our ears.

So mental picture time: Jena, Alex and I are all cringing at the horrendous sound, in traffic with a temporarily placated infant... The sound was torture I couldn't decide what was worse, a screaming child or this racket coming from the stereo. Traffic started moving so we decided to look for the next exit to feed the child.

We find a nice exit and turn off to get Marin squared away. The hard part when your writing this is you don't want to do any self promoting. But I just want to let you all now that I am legendary at the "hold the dog and disrobe the child in the poop soaked onesie and outfit". I didn't even need to cut any of the clothes off her. Let me tell you Marin had a second diaper of poo on under her real diaper it was a mess and it was cold and it was starting to rain. Time was of the essence. I was able to totally change and clean up my child in about minute flat. That is: off with the jumper and onesie, clean off the layer of poo, crevice clean, new diaper, new onsie, and new jumper. I was very proud of myself. Jena was proud as well. Jena fed Marin and then I took Alex for a walk to pee. We got back in the car and made it the rest of the way without incident (3 more hours). We made it!!

We all had a great time and ate some yummy lobster. Marin is now smiling on cue and will mimic your facial expressions. Jena and I have even got her to stick out her tongue. It's very cute and Marin really makes you feel good. My breast envy is subsiding as Marin loves when I blow raspberries on her belly. I love that kid! Jena got another Mommy badge by blazing a trail through the woods with Marin in her baby Bjorn! Jena is rather kick ass. We had a great time with Avo and Grandpa. Marin was on her best behavior and are you ready this is rather huge... wait for it... Marin slept for 8 hours straight. Once again instead of being ecstatic parents we freaked that a 2 month old would sleep for so long. So we called the pediatrician (Pepe) and he said wow that is great..... great what does that mean.... ugh doctors there so vague. So we looked online and it told us that the baby has sleepodalitis and maybe rickets. Here is the kicker, how could any sleep deprived parents complain when there cherub sleeps for 8 uninterrupted hours. Well she goes to sleep close to 8 and wakes up at 4AM and does not want to go back to sleep because as she sees it that she just slept for 8 friggin hours and it's play time! We did not bring the neglectomatic so we took shifts entertaining her till it was about 6ish and the Avo awoke to play with her grandchild and we collapse for some more rest. And then the next night she slept again for 8 hours..... and then for 6 and then back to sleep for 2 more... Life is good...lets see if she does this at home. If not we are moving in with my parents till she is 12.



On to photos....


This is the new preferred hold-I'm going to have forearms like Popeye soon.

Ahh being a grandparent-you get all the good stuff without the bad stuff.


Marin thought she was being clever and was camouflaged, unfortunately her sight is not quite up to snuff and she managed to pick the wrong floral pattern.
Marin the flying nun



Neglectomatic Lite
Marin and Emma commiserating

Earning her Wilderness Mommy badge



1 Comments:

Blogger Tamra said...

Aww she is changing so fast. She is sooo adorable. It sounds like you two are doing a great job with things and it will only get easier. The fact you have a sleeper is a HUGE blessing! I can't wait to meet her.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home